Caring for Huronia – Grant Stories
Huronia is a stunningly beautiful and extremely caring community. The time and resources of so many donors and charities help make this the thriving, vibrant and beautiful place we call home.
To date, we have distributed over $635,000 to local community organizations.
Our community has enabled us to support the following groups in fall of 2011.
- Life Skills & Independence for Teens - $500 granted to support a Christmas celebration including dinner and a gift. L.I.F.T. supports young people to develop social and personal skills.
- Springwater Township Public Library - $500 granted for the purchase of Playaway Electronic Books with the hopes of getting young adults back into the enjoyment of books.
- YMCA Simcoe/Muskoka Senior Women on the Move Camp - $570 granted for sponsorship of two women to attend the Senior Women on the Move Camp at Camp Kitchikewana providing an opportunity for personal growth.
- Huronia Pregnancy Resource Centre - $595 granted to start a mentorship program connecting older moms with younger moms.
- Greater Simcoe Telecare - $600 granted to support advertising and mileage costs as Telecare promotes their service of providing emotional first aid to Simcoe County residence.
- Wendat Community Programs - $1000 granted to assist in the purchase of stable vinyl chairs with arms which will aid their clients to safely seat themselves at a variety of programs.
- Gift of Grace Soup Kitchen – Knox Presbyterian Church - $1000 granted to help Gift of Grace continue to provide hot meals to feed the hungry.
- Georgian Bay Native Friendship Centre - $1125 granted to purchase fitness equipment which will encourage healthy living for participants of their fitness classes.
- Community Reach North Simcoe - $1200 granted to assist with cost of developing and implementing a communications strategy to publicize the mission and enhanced services offered by this newly formed charity.
- Alzheimer Society of Greater Simcoe County - $1250 granted to support a Caregiver Retreat for those caring for family and friends with Alzheimer’s of other dementia illnesses
- Atlantic Challenge Canada - $1500 granted to help refit and upgrade their older gig. This group’s programs focus on personal development through adventure, boating skills, team work and new experiences.
- Community Living Huronia Foundation - $1600 granted to provide a computer literacy training course focused on Microsoft Office and Internet use for people with exceptionalities.
- Midland Area Reading Council - $2000 granted to start an After School Homework Help and Book Club.
- Georgian Bay Cancer Support Centre - $2000 granted to help develop and deliver programs which will support cancer patients, their caregivers and family members.
In addition to the above grants, we are also providing dollars from a number of other funds for projects in our community:
- Askennonia – $658 from the Askennonia Fund
- Music Festival – $443 from the John Arpin Fund and $505 from the Jack Beauchamp Fund
- OSPCA –Midland Branch – $730 from the Iris Stotesbury Fund
- Brookside Music Presentation – $200 for A Christmas Carol from the Vaughan Family Fund.
All of these programs and many others enhance the lives of many individuals, and without the charities and caring donors, none of this would be available in our community. Be part of caring for Huronia, give today and help forever.
If you are a local charity that would like to apply for a grant – Click here.